Cuba is the largest island State in the Caribbean in terms of area and population. A one-party socialist State since 1959, the country remained under the leadership of revolutionary leader Fidel Castro for nearly 50 years before his younger brother Raul took over as Head of State in 2008. The State has been widely criticised for the repression of its people’s civil and political rights and for its intolerance of opponents of the regime, human rights activists and journalists.
Organisations in Cuba
- Attorneys for the Rights of the Child
- Canadian International Development Agency
- CARE USA
- Centro de Estudios Sobre la Juventud (CESJ)
- Centro de Intercambio y Referencia-Initiativa Comunitaria (CIERIC)
- Centro Memorial Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Fundación Antonio Nuñez Jiménez de la Naturaleza y el Hombre (FANJ)
- Global Campaign for Education
- Global March Against Child Labour
- International Centre for Child and Youth Studies
- International Federation of Social Workers
- International Planned Parenthood Federation
- International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
- La Asociación Cubana de las Naciones Unidas (ACNU)
- Madre, Inc.
- Save the Children UK
- Union Nacional de Juristas de Cuba
- Women's World Summit Foundation
- World Association of Early Childhood Educators