More than 34 children allegedly have been killed in Syria since a shaky truce between President Bashar al-Assad's security forces and opposition groups began on April 12, a U.N. envoy said on Tuesday.
[1 May 2012] - "I urge all parties in Syria to refrain from indiscriminate tactics resulting in the killing and wounding of children," said Radhika Coomaraswamy, special envoy for children and armed conflict.
The United Nations has been largely shut out of Syria during the conflict and most independent journalists have been barred, making it is difficult to independently verify details of attacks and casualties.
"Since a truce was agreed on April 12 ... and despite the deployment of United Nations ceasefire monitors, more than 34 children have allegedly been killed," said in a statement.
The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said two children were among 10 people killed in a mortar attack on Monday by Syrian forces on a village in the northern province of Idlib.
Coomaraswamy also said in recent days that at least one child was killed during anti-government protests and the body of a girl was retrieved from the rubble of a collapsed house in the city of Hama.
Violence appears to be rising again after a lull immediately after the ceasefire's implementation. Thirty U.N. monitors are already in Syria and the mission's number is expected to rise to 50 by the end of the week.
The United Nations says Syrian forces have killed more than 9,000 people since the uprising against Assad began in March 2011. Damascus says rebels have killed more than 2,600 soldiers and police.
- SYRIA: Nine from one family killed in bombardment (1 May 2012);
- SYRIA: In Cold Blood - Summary Executions by Syrian Security Forces and Pro-Government Militias (Human Righta Watch, April 2012)
- SYRIA: 'Stop women and children leaving the country' (20 April 2012)
- SYRIA: Rebels accused of using child soldiers (29 March 2012)
- SYRIA: Authorities systematically targeting children (28 March 2012)
- SYRIA: Villagers 'forced into human shield for Assad's soldiers' (25 March 2012)
- SYRIA: Whole city besieged to "wipe out pockets of armed terrorists” (22 February 2012)
- SYRIA: SRSG Coomaraswamy calls to immediately halt all violations against children (9 February 2012)
- SYRIA: Children severely tortured in detention (3 February 2012)
- SYRIA: Remembering child victims of military crackdown (17 January 2012)
- SYRIA: 6,200 killed, including 400 children (9 January 2012)
- SYRIA: Boy, 10, slain in home by sniper (12 December 2011)
- SYRIA: Assad denies responsibility for the killing of thousands of anti-government protesters (7 December 2011)
- SYRIA: Children's rights violations feature in Special Session on Syria (2 December 2011)
- SYRIA: UN rights panel voices alarm at reported torture of children (25 November 2011)
- SYRIA: Wave of violence targets children (23 November 2011)
- SYRIA: Three children among latest killed (28 October 2011)
- SYRIA: Concerns over “rampant torture” (7 October 2011)
- SYRIA: New report indicates over 5,000 deaths since March, including 148 children (Avvaz, 22 September 2011)
- SYRIA: Death toll tops 2,700, including 100 children (20 September 2011)
- SYRIA: Boy, 12, shot dead during funeral procession (13 September 2011)
- SYRIA: Teen killed as protesters call for international protection (9 September 2011)
- SYRIA: Amnesty report shows 88 civilians killed in detention, including 10 children (31 August 2011)
- SYRIA: A child's killing freeze-frames tragedy (17 August 2011)
- SYRIA: Defectors describe orders to shoot unarmed protesters (18 July 2011)
- SYRIA: Second teenager tortured to death (16 June 2011)
- SYRIA: Soldier 'ordered to fire' on peaceful protesters (10 June 2011)
- More on children's rights in Syria
Previous News release items
- 01/05/2012: SYRIA: Nine from one family killed in bombardment
- 01/05/2012: SCOTLAND: Parents unaware that children can opt out of religious education
- 01/05/2012: SIRIA: Más de 34 niños muertos durante la tregua
- 30/04/2012: BAHRAIN: Police Brutality, Despite Reform Pledges (Arabic)
- 30/04/2012: UNITED KINGDOM: Border Agency suspends asylum X-ray pilot
Organisation Contact Details:
Last updated 02/05/2012 13:53:40