[ISLAMABAD, 26 January 2011] – The Federal Cabinet on Wednesday ratified and gave its approval for the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the rights of the Child on the Sale of Children, Child Prostitution and Child Pornography. This was stated by the Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Qamar Zaman Kaira, while briefing the media about decisions of the Cabinet.
Kaira said that the Optional Protocol would enable the Government of Pakistan to fulfill its national and international obligations regarding child rights. The United Nations (UN) and the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC) has also urged the member states to ratify the protocol, he added.
The Cabinet ratified and accorded its approval for the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, he said adding that being member states of the UN, it is obligatory for all Member States to sign and ratify the Convention provided they have no reservations.
The Government of Pakistan signed this Convention on September 25, 2008 after approval of the Cabinet, 147 Member States have signed and 96 states have ratified this Convention.
The Minister said that the Cabinet also ratified and gave its approval for the signing of an agreement between the government of the Republic of Indonesia and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan on cooperative activities in the field of defence. The agreement was signed on 21st July 2010 by the Defence Minister during his visit to Indonesia.
The cabinet accorded approval for the start of negotiations to establish an agreement between the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of Senegal for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income, he said.
Qamar Zaman Kaira said that the Cabinet gave the approval in principle to start negotiations with the government of Korea on the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation for Environmental Protection.
The main objective of this MoU is to develop and promote long-term cooperation in the field of environmental protection, sharing benefit from Korea’s experience and to provide opportunities for the exchange of information, technology and experiences in this field, the Minister added.
He told the media that the Cabinet considered and accorded its approval in principle to start negotiations for an agreement on the Extradition Treaty between Pakistan and Ukraine. The Ambassador of Pakistan in Ukraine has intimated that there are a number of Pakistani Human Traffickers operating in Ukraine who have looted thousands of their own innocent compatriots in connivance with local authorities.
The Cabinet gave its approval for initiation of negotiations to enter into an agreement for the avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income with Republic of Senegal, Kaira said.
The basic purpose of an income tax treaty is to facilitate international trade and investment by removing tax obstacles, said the minister.
- South Asia: Stepping up child protection - an assessment of child protection systems [Save the Children Sweden, Regional Office for South and Central Asia, 9 September 2010]
- SEXUAL EXPLOITATION: The recovery and reintegration of children affected by sexual exploitation and trafficking globally [The Child Recovery and Reintegration Network, November 2010]
- More information and news on children and sexual exploitation
- More news on children and pornography
- More on child rights in Pakistan
Previous News release items
- 28/01/2011: DR CONGO: Lubumbashi Police Tackle Sexual Violence
- 28/01/2011: MOROCCO: Underage marriages increase
- 28/01/2011: UNITED STATES: Proposed Arizona law targets "birthright" citizenship
- 28/01/2011: ESTADOS UNIDOS: Jueza decide en favor de hijos de indocumentados
- 28/01/2011: EGYPT: Authorities urged to rein in security forces
Organisation Contact Details:
Associated Press of Pakistan - APP
Last updated 31/01/2011 09:42:26