Terre des hommes has launched a report on the implementation of the "UNICEF guidelines on the protection of the rights of the child victims of trafficking" in South East Europe.
The report, which compares the situation in Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia, finds that the general level of service provided to child victims of trafficking has improved significantly, but that considerable improvements must still be made.
Key findings of the report
- Compliance with the UNICEF guidelines on legislative, administrative and procedural frameworks was generally found to be good but implementation is still far from satisfactory.
- Exploited children continue to be subjected to mistreatment due to weak case management practices
- A large proportion of children are not identified or granted victim status and therefore do not benefit from the care they are entitled to.
- Short-term solutions offered to child victims meet the standards of the UNICEF guidelines. However, a lack of adequate durable solutions such as non-residential care alternatives are lacking.
- Children are only properly supported by a guardian and have access to someone to listen to them and safeguard their best interests in a very limited number of cases.
- Public Social Services structures are not equipped with sufficient resources to conduct their work and often lack relevant childcare expertise to ensure the proper protection of children.
- The judiciary has not adequately adapted their practices to the cases of children, very often leading to cases of re-victimisation.
- Inclusive training impact assessment is necessary among all actors to assess the gaps in competence and to build a training strategy based on these identified gaps.
- UNICEF guidelines on the protection of the rights of the child victims of trafficking
- OHCHR Report on Trafficking, especially women and children (August 2008)
- Child Trafficking in the European Union - Challenges, perspectives and good practices (Fundamental Rights Agency, July 2009)
Previous Publication (general) items
- 19/02/2010: International Adoption Policy Brief
- 19/02/2010: The Way We Care: A Guide for Managers of Programs Serving Vulnerable Children and Youth
- 19/02/2010: Interagency Guiding Principles on Unaccompanied and Separated Children: FRENCH VERSION
- 19/02/2010: Practical Guide to Child Friendly Spaces
- 19/02/2010: FRENCH VERSION: IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings
Organisation Contact Details:
Terre des Hommes, Suisse
Terre des hommes - aide à l’enfance
En Budron C 8 – CH-1052
CCP : 10-11504-8
Tél: +41 21 654 66 66
Fax : +41 21 654 66 77
Last updated 23/02/2010 08:29:59