The 2006 session of the General Assembly (61st session) is currently taking place in New York. The work of the General Assembly is conducted in the plenary and the six main Committees. The 3rd Committee is the one that deals with children's rights and human rights in general.
Item 63 of the General Assembly's 61st Session will hear updates from the Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, follow-up to the Special Session on Children of the General Assembly that took place in 2002, and an update on the Status of the Convention on the Rights of the Child from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. The 3rd Committee will then adopt a Resolution on children's rights. Keep checking our GA news page.
Documents presented to the 61st session:
UN Study on Violence against Children
In addition, the Secretary-General's Study on Violence Against Children will be presented on 11 October 2006, to the 3rd Committee of the General Assembly, by the Independent Expert, Paulo Sergio Pinheiro. For more information about the Study and for daily updates, visit the CRIN website.
Previous CRC News items
- 05/10/2006: Le Comité des droits de l'enfant achève les travaux de sa 43ème session
- 04/10/2006: ASSEMBLEE GENERALE DE L'ONU 2006: Les droits de l'enfant à la 61ème session
- 30/09/2006: DCI/PS invited to address the 43rd Session of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- 29/09/2006: Committee on the Rights of the Child issues Concluding Observations for 43rd session
- 29/09/2006: Committee on the Rights of the Child: Session reports
Organisation Contact Details:
Child Rights International Network
2 Pontypool Place
Tel: +44 (0)207 401 2257
Last updated 10/10/2006 19:07:56