The new UN Working Group on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises will hold its inaugural meeting at the Human Rights Council from 16 - 20 January.
On 16th June, the Council endorsed a new set of Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights designed to provide - for the first time - a global standard for preventing and addressing the risk of adverse impacts on human rights linked to business activity.
A Working Group was then set up to implement the Guiding Principles, with the five members of the Working Group holding their inaugural meeting on 16 January.
The Working Group will be holding an informal introductory exchange on 20 January.
- Further details and to register are available, here.
Further to the call for submissions made on 4 November to all stakeholders for suggestions for the programme of the new UN Working Group, a number of submissions were received from States, NGOs, UN organisations and businesses
- Access the submissions here.
- Read more about the new Working Group
- Read the Guiding Principles
- Read more about the process and NGO criticism
Previous UN event items
- 15/12/2011: Children and Youth at the ICC: Participation, Protection and Reparations
- 02/12/2011: SYRIA: Human Rights Council to hold special session
- 14/11/2011: Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR): Session 47
- 01/11/2011: UN: Expert Consultation on Street Children
- 31/10/2011: Committee against Torture: Session 47
Last updated 13/01/2012 16:58:52