[6 December 2011] - An 8-year-old boy confronted GOP contender Michele Bachmann at a book-signing event in South Carolina, and stood up for his gay mother.
Rep. Bachmann, who supports a Constitutional amendment defining marriage between a man and a woman, initially coaxed the seemingly shy child to speak during the weekend event, only to be left virtually speechless when the boy said his mother was gay.
“My mom is gay and she doesn’t need fixing,” the boy, identified only as Elijah, is heard whispering to Bachmann in a video posted to YouTube.
Bachmann initially says nothing to the boy, but as he walks away she responds: “Ok. Bye-bye.”
According to Chicago Now, a woman who identified herself as the shooter of the clip said the boy’s mother planned to confront Bachmann but got nervous. Elijah insisted they stay at the event to talk to the congresswoman.
“I was standing in line with Elijah and his mom. His mom was going to say something to her, but she got nervous and told me she wanted to leave. We were about to step out of the line but Elijah cried out, ‘Nooo!’ He grabbed onto her coat and pulled her back in the line, saying he wanted to talk to her,” the woman told Chicago Now.
Bachmann was confronted by a high school student at an event in Iowa last week, also asking about gay rights in a video that went viral.
“Why can’t same sex couples get married,” 16-year-old Jane Schmidt asked Bachmann.
“They can get married, [if] they abide by the same laws as everyone else. They can marry a man, if they’re a woman, and can marry a woman if they’re man,” Bachmann responded.
- SEXUALITY: Clinton, Obama promote gay rights as human rights around the world (7 December 2011)
- UNITED STATES: Battle goes public on bullying of gay students in Minnesota suburb (13 September 2011)
- UNITED STATES: New Jersey anti-bullying law comes into effect (8 September 2011)
- UNITED STATES: Parents respect and support transgender child's choice to live life as girl (1 September 2011)
- UNITED STATES: New York City to mandate sex-ed (11 August 2011)
- UNITED STATES: Teen on trial for killing gay classmate (6 July 2011)
- UNITED STATES: The #itsoktosaygay youth movement (27 May 2011)
- UNITED STATES: 'Don't Say Gay' Bill may ban Tennessee teachers from discussing homosexuality (26 May 2011)
- CRIN Editorial on DISCRIMINATION: Children and Sexuality (CRIN, May 2010)
- DISCRIMINATION: Hatred in the Hallways: Violence and Discrimination Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Students in US Schools (Human Rights WatchAugust 2001)
- More on children's rights in the United States
Previous News release items
- 07/12/2011: FORCED LABOUR: Campaign to stop imports of Uzbek child labour cotton into the European Union
- 07/12/2011: INDONESIA: Health official claims 'female circumcision is not genital mutilation'
- 07/12/2011: SYRIA: Assad denies responsibility for the killing of thousands of anti-government protesters
- 07/12/2011: ISRAEL-OPT: Israel army fails Palestinian complainants: NGO (Arabic)
- 07/12/2011: AFGHANISTAN: Women’s rights law poorly enforced, says UN report (Arabic)
Organisation Contact Details:
Last updated 08/12/2011 10:07:40