A special session of the Human Rights Council has been convened for Friday 9 January. The subject is: "The Grave Violations of Human Rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory including the recent aggression of the occupied Gaza strip".
The request for a Special Session was 'supported by the following 29 Member States of the Council: Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, Cuba, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa and Zambia'.
NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC wishing to accredit representatives to the 9th special session of the Human Rights Council are invited to send their letter of accreditation request/s to the Secretariat of the Council ASAP by fax or email to the accreditation officer clearly marked:
Re: Accreditation 9th special session of the Human Rights Council
Attention of Mr. Juan-José Flores
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
Palais Wilson, Room 3-070
52 Rue des Paquis
1201 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22.917.93.75
Fax: +41 22.917.90.08
The accreditation officer of the Human Rights Council, will be present at the security entrance "Pregny Gate" at 9.00 a.m. on 9 January 2009.
The letter requesting accreditation should contain the following elements:
• It should be submitted on the official letterhead of the organisation;
• It should clearly state the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, e.g. “Name of NGO, in consultative status with ECOSOC, wishes to send the following members to attend the 9th special session of the HRC on 9 January 2009”;
• The letter needs to be signed by the President or the Main Representative of the organisation in Geneva;
• It should also indicate the name/s (first name and family name) of the person/s who will represent the organisation at the HRC session:
-Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in the ID document,
-Family Name(s) have to be capitalised.
It is important to ensure that the name(s) of those members already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by UNOG Security and Safety Section, and who plan to attend the session of HRC, is/are also included in the accreditation letter, with an indication that the person(s) hold(s) an annual badge.
Annual or temporary representatives of NGOs in possession of an identity badge issued by UNOG Security and Safety Section and valid for the duration of the session, will have unrestricted access to the conference rooms.
Any other participants without a UNOG identity badge should apply in person to the security entrance at Pregny Gate, 8 – 14 Avenue de la Paix; on presentation of an identity document and a copy of the letter of accreditation, a photo-badge valid for the duration of the Council session will be issued.
Access to the public gallery
The secretariat wishes to remind all persons who wish to observe the proceedings of the Human Rights Council without being accredited as participants (mainly students, researchers and academics) that there are a limited number of seats in the Public Gallery, above the conference room. Individuals or groups who wish to attend are required to send a letter (24 hours before the desired date) to the secretariat, containing the following information:
(a) Date(s) of the visit;
(b) Purpose of the visit; and
(c) Full name(s) of those wishing to attend.
Access to the public gallery will be granted depending on the availability of seating and other circumstances.
Previous UN event items
- 01/12/2008: PROCEDIMIENTOS ESPECIALES: Visitas
- 28/11/2008: ONU: El Consejo de Derechos Humanos celebrará una sesión especial sobre la República Democrática del Congo
- 01/11/2008: CHINA: World Urban Youth Forum
- 08/09/2008: Human Rights Council Session 9
- 08/09/2008: 9ème session du Conseil des Droits de l'Homme
Last updated 07/01/2009 05:11:36