Deadline for signatures: 13 October 2008.
We invite you to join a global initiative to end-once and for all-the practice of executing people for crimes committed as children. Today, although every country in the world is party to treaties prohibiting the death penalty for juvenile offenders, there are still five states-Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Pakistan, and Yemen-that continue to execute child offenders. Over the past three years, these five states* have executed 32 juvenile offenders, and have over 100 juvenile offenders still on death row.
A change in practice by these five states would result in universal adherence to the ban on juvenile executions. We invite NGOs -local, national, regional and international-to sign the petition calling for strong action by this year's UN General Assembly to make the ban on juvenile executions a reality. Together, CRIN and Human Rights Watch will present these signatures to UN member states in mid-October, in advance of their debate on the rights of the child, to demonstrate the conviction of NGOs around the world that no one should ever be executed again for a crime committed as a child. We hope to have NGO signatures from as many parts of the world as possible, and invite you to circulate the petition to your partners.
*Between January 1, 2005 and September 2, 2008, the following states are known to have executed 32 juvenile offenders: Iran (26), Saudi Arabia (2), Sudan (2), Pakistan (1), Yemen (1).
Sign the petition here: http://www.crin.org/petitions/petition.asp?petID=1012
The deadline for sign-ons is October 13.
For more information, please contact Clarisa Bencomo, Human Rights Watch, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CRC and the death penalty
- Human Rights Watch: Enforcing the International Prohibition of the Juvenile Death Penalty (May 2008)
- Amnesty International: UN General Assembly 2008: Implementing a moratorium on executions (3 September 2008)
- UN Study on Violence Against Children Recommendations
Previous News release items
- 03/09/2008: NICARAGUA: Name and Identity for Thousands of Indigenous Children
- 03/09/2008: SENEGAL: Dakar regorge d'enfants mendiants venus de Guinée-Bissau
- 03/09/2008: L'ONU condamne l'exécution de deux mineurs en Iran
- 03/09/2008: PAKISTAN: Enterrées vivantes au nom de la tradition
- 03/09/2008: IRAQ: Health Ministry confirms Cholera Cases
Organisation Contact Details:
Child Rights International Network
2 Pontypool Place
Tel: +44 (0)207 401 2257
Last updated 13/10/2008 05:41:40