Statement delivered by the Regional Representative for East Asia and the Pacific of the NGO Advisory Council for follow up to the UN Study on Violence Against Children at the 62nd session of the General Assembly on 19 October 2007.
East Asia and the Pacific Region, 19 October 2007
Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen, Your Excellencies:
I am speaking on behalf of the 121 NGOs from 12 Countries of the East Asia and Pacific Region who signed the petition in supporting the establishment of a Special Representative to the Secretary General – that will ensure, among others, the provision of positive leadership in the follow-up to the present recommendations of the UN Study.
The “after shocks” resulting from the revelations of the scope of violence of children in our homes, schools and institutions of care – all of which are meant to protect children, have “jolted” a number of countries in the Region to take actions.
These countries have made modest progress along legislation, draft national action plans, continued research and analysis, and start up programs. However, there remain more than half of the many nations in the Region that need to come forward and take affirmative and proactive moves in response to the recommendations of the UN Study.
On the whole, what we have achieve so far are not enough to eliminate all forms of dehumanizing and degrading treatment to and address the ill-effects of so on the millions of children in the Region.
Together with the children and the growing number of supportive non-government and civil society organizations – we urge ALL member states in the Region to:
- Take bold comprehensive actions in response to the recommendations of the UN Study
- Provide venues and protect the processes in which children in the Region and the rest of the world can continue to be social actors in this issue that challenges their Rights and well-being, and;
- Pursue, on our behalf, a national, regional and unified international support for the appointment of a Special Representative to the Secretary General on the follow up to the UN Study on Violence against Children.
Apart from violence, the children of the East Asia and Pacific Region are already beset with so many difficult situations that can be altered if we all decide. Let us not pay more in the future for our inaction today.
Let us stop violence against children, NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Prepared by: Irene V. Fonacier-Fellizar, RSW
Previous Members news items
- 19/10/2007: GENERAL ASSEMBLY: NGO Statement from Latin America and Caribbean
- 19/10/2007: GENERAL ASSEMBLY: NGO Statement for Europe and Central Asia
- 18/10/2007: CZECH REPUBLIC: Possessing child porn becomes criminal offence
- 16/10/2007: MONTENEGRO: Children demand right to education without discrimination
- 15/10/2007: ZIMBABWE: Kwashiorkor comes to the capital
Organisation Contact Details:
International NGO Council on Violence Against Children
Last updated 29/10/2007 06:37:37