Parallel to the Human Rights Council, OMCT's Children's Rights Programme has organised an event aiming to discuss the proposals in favour of strengthening the UN mechanisms for the protection of children's rights. This debate will be integrated in the follow up of the UN SG's Study on Violence Against Children, as well as in the context of the Human Rights Council's review of special procedures.
During the event, a panel discussion will take place comprising five high level personalities who will give statements. The discussion will be moderated by the Director of OMCT, Mr Eric Sottas.
All those interested in children's rights are welcome to attend and participate in this side event, which will be held on the 21st September from 2 to 4 pm at the Palais des Nations, Geneva, in Room IX.
- Mr. Noberto Liwski
Expert member of the Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Mr Juan Miguel Petit
Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography
- Mr. Vitit Muntarbhorn
Chairperson of the Coordination Committee of Special Procedures and former Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography (1991-1994)
- Mr. Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro
Independent expert of the United Nations’ Study on violence against children
- Mrs. Nakpa Polo
Member of the African Committee of experts on the rights and welfare of the child
will provide statements followed by a debate with the public.
Moderator: Eric Sottas, OMCT Director
Previous Events (general) items
- 18/09/2006: NGO Strategy Meeting on NGO contributions to interactive dialogues with Special Procedures
- 17/09/2006: Global Day for Darfur
- 17/09/2006: NGO-Preparatory Meeting for HRC session 2
- 15/09/2006: Early Childhood Care and Education for Development: Multiple Ways of Knowing and Practicing
- 11/09/2006: Deuxième réunion du Comité d'Experts sur la protection des enfants contre l'exploitation sexuelle et les abus
Last updated 20/09/2006 06:36:58