The NGO Group for the Convention on the Rights of the Child is a coalition of international non-governmental organisations, which work together to facilitate the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. It was originally formed in 1983 when members of the NGO Group were actively involved in the drafting of the Convention. An organisational brochure is available [ html format ]
The NGO Group has a Liaison Unit that supports participation of the NGOs, particularly national coalitions, in the reporting process to the Committee on the Rights of the Child as well as other activities to ensure the implementation of the Convention. One important area is the management of Alternative Reports that have been submitted to the Committee on the Rights of the Child (as per Article 45a).
The NGO Group has a focal point programme on sexual exploitation, abuse and violence (FPP) that facilitates the coordination of global action to combat child sexual abuse, exploitation and violence. The FPP focuses in particular on the following issues: the framework of the Convention; the Optional Protocol on sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography; the Agenda for Action adopted at the first World Congress in 1996; the Yokohama Global Commitment and Regional Commitments adopted in 2001. FPP activities are carried out and implemented through NGO Group members, through a global network of regional facilitators, and in cooperation with relevant United Nations organs and agencies.
The NGO Group has the following aims:
- To be an advocate on behalf of children by raising awareness about the Convention.
- To promote and facilitate, through specific programmes and actions, the full implementation of the Convention.
- To facilitate a flow of information between the Committee on the Rights of the Child, concerned United Nations bodies and the NGO community.
- To facilitate co-operation and information sharing regarding the monitoring and implementation of the Convention within the NGO community.
- To draw up policies and strategies and undertake action in fields covered by the Convention
- To contribute to the monitoring work of the Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- To facilitate the creation and support the work of National Coalitions for the Convention on the Rights of the Child.